Sunday 20 July 2014

NZIFF Film Review: "Joe" (2013).


"... You look at me like I can make a move. What are you thinking when you look at me like that? Don't you care? I don't know who I am, but I know what keeps me alive is restraint. Keeps me out of jail. Keeps me from hurting people. A mark of some fucked-up faith that there's a reason. A reason for all of this. A reason in most moments I shouldn't do what I wanna do. I do as I'm told. These men who bust their asses work like dogs - and I believe in them - but every day they hurt. They get old, they peel back... There's no frontier anymore. And I watch that boy, and I see someone who's... nothing like me, but... he's a child folks left behind. And he's on a fence, balanced right there." This is Joe. This crime drama film directed by David Gordon Green, adapted by Gary Hawkins, and based on the 1991 novel of the same name by Larry Brown. The rough-hewn boss of a lumber crew courts trouble when he steps in to protect the youngest member of his team from an abusive father.

The film stars Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan. Both Cage and Sheridan gave striking performances where both of them fulfilled a pseudo father and son surrogates to each other. Its complex tact won't be for everybody, but there is satisfaction in the nuanced, often-pleasing performances from Cage and Sheridan as they slowly reveal their characters to both the audience and each other. These two grow on you. Ironically, despite his reported financial difficulties, Cage turned down The Expendables 3 (2014) and Killing Season (2013) to do this film. Cage described his performance as naked saying that Joe character is very close to him and he didn't need to act.

Along with Prince Avalanche (2011), Joe is a step back in the right direction for director David Gordon Green as it shambles amiably along with a pair of artfully low-key performances from Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan. It's an intimate two-hander with lots of dialogue, drama and poignant revelations, set against a backdrop of rugged woodland beauty. With beautiful and interesting cinematography, the film manages to put you out in the middle of nowhere with Alvin and Lance and their dysfunctional relationship. It feels as though Gordon Green was never entirely sure what type of film he wanted to make, and so it remains something of an enigma; interesting and engaging, if never quite fulfilling. The film has the pristine integrity of a movie that knows exactly what it wants to be - and doesn't worry whether many or any will be eager to jump aboard. There's some terrific stuff going on here, its minimalist bent and gorgeous photography combining to form a quietly immense drama that should age very well. An eminently amicable piece of work. One of the most intriguing and thoughtful American films of the year.

Simon says Joe Receives:



Also, see my review for Price Avalanche.

No comments:

Post a Comment