Sunday 10 March 2019

'Once Upon a Time in Canada' Chapter 75.

I have attended the most interesting event yet. And by "event" I mean a Ukrainian-Canadian event. I got to another Ukrainian-Canadian event; I was actually intrigued and willing to go this time round. It was a community panel discussion entitled Voices of War: Ukraine’s Contemporary Conflict. I could get some interesting titbits on the community and their opinions of the Ukrainian/Russian conflict. After all, one of the panellists includes Dmytro Lavernchuk, a 2014 veteran of the Ukrainian volunteer army.

Damn it’s tempting and tantalizing. If I can get the opportunity to attend an event such as this and get some titbits, I’d be able to understand the community more and be more in touch with them. The community have continuously made me feel alienated with previous events, but this time it wasn’t going to be the case since this presented an opportunity for me to finally properly assimilate into the community.





But if I’m being honest, that’s not really why I’m interested in attending the event. I’m actually attending to show my absolute opposition to Putin, the Russian government, and, ultimately, communism. Once I truly understood my South Korean identity and history, I got used to demonizing North Koreans, Russians, and any other communist-affiliated nations. All that began in high school, the worst years of my entire existence, because I just became an individual seething with rage beneath and any other reasons for becoming a staunch conservative. I’m no longer that anymore. But I could end up going back if society and humanity continues pushing my buttons the WRONG way.

It’s a disturbing thought. After all, I’m only human, and a South Korean. Why go out of my way to reveal this part of myself when I could just let all of these feelings go? Because I feel Ukrainians and South Koreans have something in common: we’re both victimized nations who are suffering from neighbouring, oppressive countries. With Ukraine it’s Russia, and with South Korea it’s North Korea, obviously.

So while it’s really tempting that I’m having the opportunity to present this part of myself to the community (man, we really have something to talk about now together, don’t we?), it’s only just begun. Besides, I’ve been a supporter of Ukrainians, and I’ve really been dying to show this part of myself now.

Also, see Chapters 74 and 76.

No comments:

Post a Comment