Monday 1 April 2019

'Once Upon a Time in Canada' Chapter 80.

I had the best day today, and I just had a ball. It started out pretty dreary. I had to sleep a little more since it was raining all night the night before. The bed won’t be as comfortable as I would like it to be every night. But I did get the bed for a cheap price, somewhat. I also can fold it up and use it as a couch. Anyways, suffice it to say, the sleep the night before was not a good one for a couple of reasons. But after an additional hour or two more of sleep, followed by a nice shower and a decent breakfast, I was feeling much better.

At first, I thought about not attending the 35mm screening of David Cronenberg’s Crash with a special Q&A with Viggo Mortensen. Instead, I thought about just job hunting and doing my other usual chores. Then I changed my mind. After having a good think about it, I came to the conclusion that I’d never to be able to have this kind of opportunity. I needed to go. So today was focused on getting to TIFF Bell Lightbox and get in to see the film and Mortensen himself. I brought my emergency bag with me, just in case, figuring I needed to be prepared. And along with my usual stuff, I brought my iPhone. Once I got there, I got in the rush line and stayed there. I didn’t want to move or get out of line so that I could do anything else such as going to the bathroom. So I just stood in line and sucked it up. Good thing, too. Because if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten in. I got out my headphones and just listened to music whilst I was waiting. It’s the usual thing I do in times like this.

I removed my headphones and then answered a question from a person about the line, and then he jumped in after I did. Once he did, he kept talking to me until I got my ticket. I got a ticket that was refunded due to customer cancelling in the last minute, and then I made my way up to Cinema One. Then I waited for the guy to show up and we then made our way in and grabbed the best seats in the house. Now we were in the front, not too front though where my eyes could be damaged. We continued our talk until the show started. The person curating the event was none other than Cameron Bailey, the Artistic Director and the Co-Head at TIFF, who kicked things off. I only had one thing in mind when he was talking: When will Aragorn show up? I smiled when Bailey finally introduced Mortensen to the stage. Something went off in my body, and I didn’t know what that was, regardless my heart was pounding. The film finally started after Mortensen finished his introduction.




It only got better afterwards, kicking things up a notch when Mortensen invited a surprise guest to the stage. It was none other than the auteur himself, David Cronenberg. I was over the moon when he entered the stage, wanting to scream but holding it back within me. I smiled like the Cheshire Cat, grinning from ear to ear, and could just barely hold my excitement. I just couldn’t sit still. That was I during the entire time Cronenberg was on stage talking. Every person has their special memories that they will never forget so long as they live. Tonight, along with meeting Hans Zimmer, Guillermo del Toro, and Shinya Tsukamoto, and even when I discovered cinema for the first time in my life when I was just five, will be memories I will never forget so long as a live and breathe cinema.





Anyways, with the night over, it was time to go home. Problem is, I wanted to get a photo with the both of them. Remember, I’m a huge fan of both of them, I particular Mr. Cronenberg. In the end, I had gotten the most out of one day when I attended the screening. And this night will forever be in my memories. So the day really became one of the best days from my point of view. I just was on cloud nine by the end of it. And I just couldn’t stop thinking about it. I hate for the day to be over, but there’s nothing much I can do about that except treasure it for the rest of my life. I figured it was the only thing I could do. It’s probably true. And hey, with that in mind, I got to see Viggo Mortensen and David Cronenberg in person. It’s not something I can say everyday in life for that matter.

Also, see Chapters 79 and 81.

No comments:

Post a Comment