Tuesday 15 January 2019

'Once Upon a Time in Canada' Chapter 64.

I’d been thinking a bit on this particular event. Yeah, I know. It’s not a big deal to think about since I didn’t enjoy the last one. But I have free time, and I have to write more.

There was another Ukrainian-Canadian event that my brother wanted me to attend. And it was all the way in Islington at the Islington United Church. It was a Christmas Concert, featuring the Vesnivka and Toronto Ukrainian Male Chamber Choir.

Like I said the last time, the Ukrainian-Canadian community is not exactly an open community, and is very tight-knit. So while I was there, I felt very isolated and I got a lot of confused stares, as I was the only Asian kid there who could speak English. It’s as though I was truly in international territory. Then the woman who sat next to me spoke English. Thank God! We chatted for a bit as to why we were both there, as well as a little bit about ourselves.

Here’s the good part: I, along with the entire attendants, gathered in the gymnasium connected to the church to have a shared dinner. Nobody there gave me any stares. We just enjoyed our food and talking to whomever. After spending some time there, I made my way out and made my way back home. That’s that.










Also, see Chapters 63 and 65.

No comments:

Post a Comment